History: Additional Information

-/+ or mouse-wheel to ZOOM; arrow keys or mouse to PAN.

Full text of Arthur Blackburn's Calligraphy

Extract from Volume 1 of an historical register of notable and remarkable events which have occurred in Northumberland and Durham.

The volume was re-written and re-published in 1833.

Year 1657 – entry for Sept 7th:

This year, a bowling green was made in part of The Forth, Newcastle. A tavern was also built, with a balcony projecting from the front, and a parapet wall, from whence the spectators could behold the bowlers.

. . . By an order of Common Council, a wall was built and Lime Trees, brought out of Holland, planted around it in 1680.

. . . It was an ancient custom for the Mayor, Aldermen and Sheriff of Newcastle, accompanied by a great number of persons, to proceed every year, at the Feasts of Easter and Whitsuntide, to this place, with the Mace, Sword and Cap of Maintenance, carried before them.

The assembling of young people here at these Seasons seems to be the remains of this ancient and simple custom, which has greatly fallen off within these few years.
Click for "Historical context"

1723 map of Forth BC
Forth BC in 1723

Site of "The Forth" Newcastle

The Forth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne is the area of land between the Central Station and the River Tyne. There is no trace of a bowling green in the present Forth but a 1723 Map of Newcastle shows the bowling green, the tavern and the lime trees!
Click to see the Map

Forth crest