Forth crest image

ForthBC Archive

Forth Bowling Club

Calligraphy- archive text image

In the Newcastle City archives there is a document which suggests that a "Forth Bowling Club" was established on the banks of the River Tyne in 1657.
The picture on the right shows a piece of calligraphy by one of our late members, Arthur Blackburn who died in November 2004 at the age of 95. The text, taken from the city archives, reads (inter alia): Year 1657 – entry for Sept 7th:This year, a bowling green was made in part of The Forth, Newcastle. A tavern was also built, with a balcony from whence the spectators could behold the bowlers. Click for the full text and more details
We pick-up the story of the "Forth" again in the 1930's when a bowling club was established in Souter Park North, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay for railwaymen: more particularly, for the men who worked in the old Forth goods yard of the London and North-Eastern Railway Company. The LNER built a timber pavilion (our beloved Forth hut!) which was opened with much ceremony in 1936. The more romantically inclined among us would like to believe that the Forth Bowling Club has an unbroken history stretching back to 1657. Unfortunately, there is no evidence to support this belief and it remains just wishful thinking. One point of interest, however, is the Forth badge which features a seventeenth century sailing ship. Click for more details
Calligraphy bottom left image